Hi there. I promised some materials for you to explore the idea of remixes and mashups, as well as links about copyright.
The best book I’ve seen on the subject of copyright and culture is Dr. Lawrence Lessig’s book Free Culture. It’s available FREE online here, as a PDF, as well as in audiobook format — also free, and legal — at the Internet Archive.
The lecture on which it’s based, and which we looked at (or will look at), is available here. Feel free to listen to the presentation more than once to review and deepen your understanding!
REMINDER: Listen to THIS LECTURE before our next class!
Here are some examples of remixes or “mashups”:
- Trailer remixes at iFilm
- Remixes of Super Mario game songs (and more) at Overclocked Remix
- Bjork remixes website
- The Wikipedia page on the history of remixing, with some useful links to related topics
- The CCmixter website, where you can access a stream or podcast of remixes of Creative Commons music
- The Wikipedia page for Danger Mouse’s Grey Album
- An example of some machinima made using the World of Warcraft game
- Another site with some machinima, called Machinima.com
- An excerpt from the documentary Before the Music Dies
- A satire of the Bush Administration