Your homework for Thursday morning is as follows:
- Draft a paragraph on one of the three topics we chose this morning. Your paragraph should include a strong argument about some aspect of the topic. Type it, proofread it, and bring two copies to class.
- Download Sook Jung’s essay (which will be added to this post when I receive it), print it, and read it several times, taking notes. We will have an in-class critique workshop on Thursday morning, and everyone will be expected to talk about four things:
- What the essay is about, or what the essay is “doing.”
- What’s working well in the essay, and other strengths.
- What could be improved, what isn’t working well, and other weaknesses.
- Your one suggestion for improving the essay — what you would do if this essay were yours and you wanted to make it better.
See you Thursday! And remember: Sook Jung’s essay will be online by Wednesday morning. Also — remember that you will need to DISCUSS her essay in Thursday’s class. That means you need to have read it and prepared some comments before class. If I catch you reading the essay for the first time in class, it will have a detrimental effect on your final mark.
UPDATE: Here is Sook Jung’s essay, which you need to read and be ready to discuss for Thursday’s Morning Crit Circle:
See you then!