Today (March 13) we watched the Kony 2012 video:
… and briefly discussed the “narratives” we saw in it.
Your homework for March 15 is as follows:
- Watch the video again.
- Write 500 words about your opinion on this “documentary”. Write the 500 words before you do steps 3 and 4.
- Read the following articles about the Kony 2012 video:
- Joshua Keating’s guest post on the Foreign Policy Blog titled, “Joseph Kony is not in Uganda (and other complicated things)”
- Max Fisher’s article at the Atlantic Monthly, “The Soft Bigotry of Kony 2012”
- Kate Cronin-Furman and Amanda Taub’s article, also in the Atlantic, titled “Solving War Crimes With Wristbands: The Arrogance of ‘Kony 2012′”
- Have a look at some of the criticisms of the Invisible Children organization on the Visible Children tumblr, here. This post has links to a number of very good articles: check a few or all of those for more reading.
- A collection of responses to Kony 2012 by people from various African countries is available at the Boing-Boing blog
- In Uganda specifically, there is anger about the film, as discussed in this article
- Be ready to discuss the film itself some more, along with what you think of the criticisms of the film, of the Invisible Children organization, and so on.